Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] 2" OD Long Masts

To: Byron Tatum <bjtatum1@att.net>, "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] 2" OD Long Masts
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 07:14:50 -0700
Byron,

Inside or outside sleeving of round tubing will make the section moment that of the combined wall thicknesses. This is covered in Leeson's "Physical Design of Yagi Antennas." Outside sleeving is much more effective since the moment of inertia increases geometrically with the outside diameter for a given wall thickness. If you internally sleeve your 2" mast with a 0.125" wall tube the moment increases 20%. If you sleeve the od with a 0.125" wall tube the moment almost doubles.

So if you want to stick with aluminum, then get some 2.25" od 0.120" wall tube for an od sleeve. Usually tubing is exact for od, so to sleeve the id needs to be increased, which may or may not be true for the mast you have. Since some of the "HD" steel masts are sleeved for only the lower 10' where the stress is the highest, that is also an alternative.

Here is another online calculator that is handy http://civilengineer.webinfolist.com/str/micalc.htm

Grant KZ1W