Re: [TowerTalk] Adding guys to self supporting towers

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Adding guys to self supporting towers
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:03:32 -0700
Rick,

It was my wrong assumption that crank ups were in the question. Guys on the mast by the prior owner of your HDX5106 tower - very interesting!

I have a Trylon T200-80 on the ground which is rated 16 sq ft at 70mph then 2 sq ft at 85 mph. Since a (85/70)^2 more wind force (1.5x) causes a 8x reduction in load capacity, my guesstimate is there is so much more tower projected area than a crank up. Anybody have the PE calcs for a Trylon or something similar?

I can see that light guying would reduce sway, but what is it in the tower structure that is the limiting factor and effectively near failure at the 85 mph loading? The legs on my tower are 16ga at the top and 8ga or 10ga at the bottom. The cross brace and leg fasteners are in shear, not tightened to critical slip. My leg bolts are 3/8 at the top and 5/8 Gr5 at the bottom, 2 ea per leg joint, a clue to the forces involved. My gut votes for leg hole tearout or maybe cross brace failures (1/4" or 5/16" bolts), the legs are stamped from 32ksi sheet metal. It's not too hard to run the numbers of bolt shear vs hole tear out on a bottom section, and compare that to the HDX589 loads, but maybe the limits are elsewhere.

If guys work then can I put a 35' 3" mast with a stack out the top of my T200-80? ;-) ;-) A Super Titan could do it.

Building an FEA model would be quite a project, but likely necessary to get an answer to your question.

Grant KZ1W