Re: [TowerTalk] Installing ham V in 25G

To: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing ham V in 25G
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:04:23 -0400
On 4/14/2012 7:17 PM, W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:
> This is so "not a problem" by using either:
>       a.  Four standard 25G sections plus a 25AG4 top section; or
>       b.  Five standard 25G sections plus the 1-ft 4-in BAS25 Rohn
> bearing/accessory shelf section.

I'll have a Force 12 C19 XR about a foot above the top of the flat plate
with a WARC 7 about 10' above it.  With the 4.9 sq ft of wind area from
the WARC 7 that would produce the leverage, or bending moment  of 49  sq
ft at the top of the tower. 58.8 if I went the full recommended 12'.
Both far exceed the rating for a 50' guyed 25G.

   With the rotator mounted down in the tower the bending moment is
mostly gone and it's more or less a side force.  On the 45G I mount the
rotator close to 30 feed below the top.  The only places I've found the
accessory shelf fits properly is between the sections.   Having worked
on a lot of equipment I was always taught that if it has to be forces it
doesn't fit.

> In either case, a TailTwister is easily mounted near the top of the top
> section, with provision for a TB-3 (2-in mast) thrust bearing a foot or so
> above the rotator.
>
> But I have also inserted a TailTwister into other Rohn 25 sections by angling
> it properly and putting a little bit of temporary pressure on one of the
> Z-braces.

The tail twister and Ham series are pretty much the same OD. It takes
well over a 100# of pressure to bend either welded brace between a half
to 3/4 of an inch to get the ham IV or V in there. The IV and V are the
same rotator, only the control is a little different.  To me a "little
bit of temporary pressure" is something I can do with my bare hands and
that is definitely not the case here.

It's beginning to appear that the 25G is not suitable for these two,
relatively small antennas.

73

Roger (K8RI)