Re: [TowerTalk] HAM-IV Ball Bearings

To: Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HAM-IV Ball Bearings
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 21:44:03 -0700
3/8" when I rebuilt mine.
McMaster has several choices in stainless and steel.
$10/100 for steel, from $26/100 for 440 to $50/100 for 316 (if you are
really concerned about corrosion) stainless grades.
Certainly don't need any grade better than 100  (0.0001" round), with Al
races or need to be concerned about ball hardness.
MFJ/HyGain claims an upgrade the alloy of the ring gear and offers the
better part for rebuilds, but it doesn't seem to be in the parts price list.
I didn't see grease on the parts price list either.  I used a TFE loaded
synthetic -Super Lube (Synco Chemical), you get much more grease for less $.
You might need new bearing retainers also.  They look like nylon and
might be broken or cracked, depending on age and exposure.

Grant KZ1W