[TowerTalk] HDX-5106 Tower Noise

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HDX-5106 Tower Noise
From: jcowens1@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:57:13 +0000 (UTC)

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 19:43:15 -0800
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" < richard@karlquist.com >
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cable noise (?) on UST crank up
To: TowerTalk@contesting.com

My UST HDX-5106 makes "popping" or "creaking" noise when
being raised.  (Mainly raising, only occasional noise is
heard going down).  It seems to be from the cables being
stressed, just going by the sound.  I frequently raise the tower to
a particular point half way up.  Less frequently, I raise
it all the way up.  The tower is quiet up to half way
up and starts making noise above that.  By exercising it
more in the upper elevations, it has gotten less noisy.
The last 5 or so feet has been problematical, sounding
like something was going to seriously break down or bind.
Whatever the noise is (hard to describe, you would have
to hear it), it seems to be specific to which sections of
the cables are going over the pulleys.  I am wondering if
I need to use cable lube to get rid of the noise.  Is
cable lube actually a lubricant or just a moisture displacement?
Sometimes the tower makes such loud noises that I stop the motor
and back down the tower a few inches.  Then I start back up
and the noise is gone at the height when it just occurred.
I am afraid to just let the tower work its way through the
noise because it may be indicative of some serious malfunction.
Alternately, make the tower sections are binding and it just
sounds like the cables are being twanged.  However, wind
speed doesn't seem to affect the problem.  The cables look
fine visually and aren't rusted.  The pulley bearings are
an unknown, but it seems like they should be the same at
any height.  The tower is 15 to 20 years old (guessing,
I didn't buy it new).  Should I be replacing the pulleys?
Many comments have been made about cables lasting virtually
forever, but pulley bearings?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Rick N6RK

Rick:

I have the HDX-572 MDPL tower which is probably similar to yours. Firt off, I
am pretty sure the pulleys do not have any bearings. I believe  mine are
aluminum pulleys with a bronze center that has a bolt going through it. I oil
mine generously at least once per year. I am trying to avoid having one of
these seize up. The benefits from using wire rope lube on the cables is that is
protects them from rust and oxidation, and allows the strands to flex more
easily when they go around a radius (pully, drum). I recently replaced the
pull-up cable since it has the most weight on it, but the other cables are the
originals and around 18 years old now. I currently do not plan on replacing
these as they are the same ratings as the pull-up cable and have much lower
weight loads on them. They look fine to me, and I keep wire rope lube on them.

The tower sections have flanges top and bottom that ride on the adjacent tower
section with a fairly generous separation space betwen them. As these flanges
contact the adjacent tower section when moving, there will be friction at those
points. My lowest section used to bind  a little at the upper reaches raising
it, and UST recommended  that I use beeswax on areas where it was binding. I
did this and it stopped the binding. I have not found the need to re-apply as
it lasts for quite a while once it is on there.You can b uy blocks of beeswax
at a hobby shop.

I have never heard any popping noise or any other kind of abnormal noise when
raising or lowering my tower. Another advantage of having wire rope lube on the
cables is that it will allow them to slip through a hindered or stuck pulley
and reduce the risk of it failing until you can get it fixed. Others might
provide suggestions as to what this is all about, but you should get that fixed
right away.

John Owens -  N7TK

Celebrating over 50 Years in Ham Radio
No. 1 Honor Roll