[TowerTalk] Close call with death

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Close call with death
From: "K2VI" <k2vi@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:34:21 -0500
Post hole digging to install the pipe in ground for the 43' zero five vertical.
I disregarded the 1.5 inch fence post and used the scedule 40 1.25 I.D
gavanized pipe. When digging i was about 38" down when i hit something hard.
Hit it a few times thinking it was a root. Well i realized it was probably a
rock and reached down and dug some dirt out to find out it was an orange heavy
plastic pipe about 1" 1/8 . Also next to it was a 1" black tube. Im not sure if
it was a huge power line but glad i didn't bust through. I just threw down some
garden rocks and cemented the pipe in just above the underground lines. So im
sure this will hold up firm when the cement cures. As far as grounding. I did
drive an 8" ground rod next to the pipe about 10" away. I know i have to
connect the ground rod to the radial plate but wondering about connection the
antenna to the ground rod. If i connect a wire from the UNUN box on the antenna
side and run it to the ground rod won't it couple to the ra
 dial plate? Since both the radial plate and antenna connect to the ground rod
in essence they are now both coupled together. Im in the dark here. Can someone
please help me out here. I would greatly apreciate the help. thank to all. 73

tony k2vi