Re: [TowerTalk] dustributors of coax and copper wire?

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dustributors of coax and copper wire?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:09:21 -0800
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:47:01 -0500, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>I've only dealt with Davis, The Wireman, and the
>RFConnection for cable in the last year of two and they were all not
>only easy to deal with, but helpful as well.

My experience with RF Connection has been poor. The salesman (Joel)
didn't have a clue about the coax he was trying to sell to a DXpedition
I've been helping acquire cable (although he had a blustery line of  BS
about it). Several years ago, I bought several dozen DIN connectors
from them to stock my parts bin. They were absolute JUNK -- dielectric
melted when I tried to solder to them (even with a heat controlled
iron) and the metal plating didn't take solder, even with flux. When I
called to complain, the response was "that's all we sell, because hams
are cheap."  The only good experience was with some egg insulators,
which were very good quality.

I'm generally pleased with several purchases from The Wireman (Press
Jones), and he seems to know what he's selling. No experience with
Davis, but online conversations exhibit a very low level of BS, which
is a good sign. :)

73,

Jim K9YC