Re: [TowerTalk] mailing list etiquette

To: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
From: John Kemker <john@kemker.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:58:16 -0500
Since the main purpose of a mailing list is to talk to everyone on the
mailing list, the default for most mailing lists is for the "Reply-To"
header to point to the mailing list itself.   It thereby takes care of
the majority of the users' replies and keeps discussion on the list
where everyone can benefit.  The minority usage is to only reply to the
original sender.  Most people do not wish to reply only to one or two
people in the message, but to reply  so all can see.  The default should
be to convenience the majority of usage, not the minority.

While I've seen a few more lists start to behave as TT, after close to
20 years involvement in email lists, I have to say it is not the norm
and is disconcerting and annoying to most people, as it is not how they
expect a list to behave.

--JohnK
73 de W5NNH
10X 75371/M&M 117/SMIRK 6185/Six Club 285/TRA 2499/Norcross 228 F&AM