[TowerTalk] Seperation of towers

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Seperation of towers
From: "Larry Pattten" <misc@littleswanlake.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:28:14 -0500
I have an HDX 555 tower with a TH11DX on it.  I am thinking about adding a
40 meter beam and I have two choices as I see it.  One is to place it above
the TH 11 on the same tower.  The second choice is to add a second tower.  I
would probably use the HDX 555 again.  The second tower would have to be
north and east of the first tower.  That would be in the direction of about
75% of my contacts at that location.  I could move the TH 11 to that
location and put the 40 meter beam behind it if that would help but I am
concerned about interactions of the beams. The most separation I would have
would be about 50 feet tip to tip of the beam.   If I put them on the same
tower, what is the amount of separation I would need?  If I put them on
different towers, how far apart must they reasonably be.  I know the further
the better but is there some rule of thumb of not closer than ... .

I now use a HY Tower for 40 and it works fine but I am thinking a beam on 40
would be an improvement.  I am thinking I will use the four element M2 or
the two element Hy Gain.

Larry K9OQ