[TowerTalk] Electric Winches for Crank Up Mast Use Question

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Electric Winches for Crank Up Mast Use Question
From: Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 02:22:07 -0800
Has anyone had experience changing out a Manual winch with a 12VDC ( or 110
AC ) Electric winch
on a 40 foot 2 section tubular tower.

Does anyone know what is the best quality Brand to buy that has  a very
dependable brake in the electric winch ?

What are the Pros and Cons for using the 100VAC vs 12VDC electric winch.

A ham friend told me his brake or ( clucth) on his electric winch he rigged
up on his 40 foot tubular
tower has started to fail and top section of his 40 foot tubular tower
slowly creeps downward.
I assume he bought a cheap Chinese brand at Harbor Freight.

He asked me to recommend a better replacement.
( He had to go to the electric winch due to the height the winch is at due
to his
rotator at bottom of tower rotating base arrangement that put the manual one
up too high to reach.

I see some for sale in Northern Tool Catalog which should do the job but
wanted to check with someone
that has one that has worked for several years with no issues.

The one brand I recognize in Northern Tool catalog is WARN and I think they
are reported to make quality winches.

I see a 1700 lB rated one for $125 and a 2500 lB one for $340

Anyone know if WARN went to China for manufacturing or stil made in USA ?

I imagine the top section of a 2 section tubular mast weighs maybe 100lBs at
most and add your mast and
a few antennas and it would seem that te 1700 lB rated WARN winch would be
adequate providing
its BRAKE will hold.

Advise appreciated

73, Dennis N6KI