Re: [TowerTalk] Trivial question re Rohn towers used as radiating elemen

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trivial question re Rohn towers used as radiating elements
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:03:38 -0600
AM broadcast towers are usually at least ~150 to 160 feet tall (1/4
w/l at the top of the bc band) and have leg ends that have flanges.
At the flanges where two sections meet and are bolted together some
tac welding is done to make sure the whole tower remains a conductor
through its time in service which can be several decades.  I won't say
no hams do this but I think most hams just bolt the sections together
and let it go at that because in most cases they aren't planning on
using their tower vertical every day for 50 years as a business.

73

rob / k5uj