Re: [TowerTalk] How is the FlexRadio working for Contesting?

To: "JACK KZ4USA" <videorov@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How is the FlexRadio working for Contesting?
From: "Neal Campbell" <nealk3nc@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:40:42 -0400
>From a performance aspect, they are great. The Flex radios have the
best dynamic snr at 2k on the market.

>From an ergonomic  perspective, its a paradigm shift. I primarily like
digital contests and being able to see all of the signals within a
192khz is pretty amazing.

Rig control is where you have to decide whether you like it or not.
Flexers mainly use the mouse wheel to tune the radio (or just grab the
bandpass display and move it). I found it required practise to feel
comfortable switching from Powersdr to your contest software of
choice. Writelog allows scrollwheel tuning so the need to switch
programs is diminished. There is a utility called Hotwheels that
allows you to route the scroll wheel of your mouse to PowerSDR even
when it doesn't have the focus.

I found it took a few hours of effort to feel comfortable with the
arrangement but now will not look back (I have sold all my radios that
have knobs, don't need them).

73
Neal k3nc