Re: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods in rocky soil

To: "'Peter Dougherty'" <w2irt@comcast.net>,"'jeremy-ca'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods in rocky soil
From: "Dick Green" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 21:26:31 -0400
There's really no point driving the rod in further if it will only be
embeded in rock or roots. That's not ground and will do you no good. It
would be one thing if you knew you would find ground once you got past the
rocks and/or root, but you really don't know what's down there. It could be
4 feet of ledge -- or even more. Even if you could drive a rod into that, it
won't serve as an RF or lightning ground.

I agree that surface or slightly sub-surface radials make more sense. I
would attach a heavy wire radial to the ground rod you have partially
installed, then run it under the sod for, say, 1/8-1/4 wavelength at 160m.
Add more if you feel like it.

73, Dick WC1M