Re: [TowerTalk] Building a "little pistol" contest station and theC-31XR

To: "Andrew Roos" <Andrew.Roos@poynting.co.za>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building a "little pistol" contest station and theC-31XR
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:19:41 -0700
At 04:03 AM 10/6/2006, Andrew Roos wrote:

>Rather than starting with an "all-band" antenna, I've decided to get the
>best tribander that I can (almost) afford, and add antennas as finances
>permit. I'm getting a Force 12 C-31XR - the ultimate deciding factor was
>its ability to have three separate feedlines.
It's not clear what advantage separate feedlines would give you. Are
you planning to run signals on all bands at the same time?  I would
imagine that the isolation isn't all that great between the feeds.

Leaving aside magnetic coupling (i.e. induced current in one feed
from the other one next to it.. probably the dominant source of
coupling) just the coupling from  capacitance is fairly hefty..
1 cm diameter rods 20 cm or so apart is about 1.4 pF/meter.  5m for
the 10m DE is about 7 pF. At 30 MHz the reactance is about 750
ohms.  So, considering it like a power divider, the victim will see
about 50/750 times the voltage of the transmitter, or about -44dB
down converting to power..  If you're putting 100 W into the DE (+50
dBm) you'll see +6 dBm into the receiver, just from the capacitance.

Realistically, you're probably looking at a coupling more like -20dB,
so with that same +50dBm into the DE, the victim will see something
like a watt (+30dBm).

I assume you're planning on having a filter with pretty good out of
band rejection?  The Dunestar filters claim 40dB rejection out of
band, so now you're seeing a -10dBm out of band signal into your
receiver.  That's about 60dB over S9...

If you just want to have multiple receivers, you can just use the
single feedline, and use a power divider or tuned multicoupler at the
shack end.  At the antenna end, the "other" driven elements present a
high impedance in parallel with the "in band" driven element for a
given signal, and so, don't have a huge effect on the overall match
(and it could be compensated by adjusting the lengths of the
elements.... tough to do by cut and try, trivial to do with a
modeling program and a bit of testing)

On 10, the 20 feed is probably thousands of ohms Z, and the 15 feed
is somewhat inductive, so the 10 feed gets shortened a bit to
compensate.  On 15, the 10 feed is capacitive and the 20 feed
inductive, and they probably cancel. On 20, both the 10 and 15 feeds
are capacitive, so you make the 20 feed a bit longer.

In any case, this is sort of a classic textbook problem (granted, in
a textbook, you don't have to worry about all the other parasitic
elements) that can be solved a variety of ways, so you get a good
match on all 3 bands.

So, for single band transmit, you have no issues with a single feed line.

Which is why I ask about whether you intend to use 2 radios at once
(I guess you do, with your SO2R questions), in which case, there
might be "better" ways to solve the problem.  (two different single
band antennas stacked and separated by a 10 feet might be cheaper
than all the filters you'll need with the tightly coupled C31XR)

Others who may have tried this will certainly chime in, but, if it
were given to me as a design job, I'd be a bit cautious.

Jim, W6RMK