Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew drive-on mast base

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew drive-on mast base
From: Dino Darling <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:15:10 -0700
Chain link?  If you are going to use this for the tire to sit on, I don't
recommend it!

I suggest getting a PLATE of scrap aluminum  3/16 minimum.  12" x (however
far out you want to come from the car)

2 pieces of 2.5" x 12" x 1/4 thick bars.  Weld these to the plate and brace
them.  Drill two holes in it; one for the pivot and one near the top to pin
it vertical.

Buy these for your mast...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789328885&ssPageName=MERC_BC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_W0

This works great for wire antennas fed with ladder line.

If you want aluminum, look for these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5790075157&category=4672&rd=1

Remember, the load will be vertical other than when you tilt it up.  The
aluminum is perfect, light weight, and reasonable at a surplus yard.

DIno

Dino...k6rix@earthlink.net