Re: [TowerTalk] tower mounted vertical

To: hcawthra@sbcglobal.net, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower mounted vertical
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 01:42:13 EDT
Howard,

I hear Comet has a new vertical out I read in a recent CQ magazine designed
for a mast installation. The artical is very detailed.  After reading it, I
would not buy one but it is a good write up. It seems well suited for a tower
installation without the mess of radials. The report is just realistic of a
vertical's performance on a tower.  The author actually seems pleased
considering it covers several bands including 80M in which it seemed to be it's
 best
band.  Very cool antenna.

Maybe a Cushcraft R8 would be a good choice which is also free of  radials
with a substitute counterpoise system instead.  But talk about wind  load.

Any other vertical on a tower needing tuned radials could be a  mess.
(MFJ???? Gag, beware Howard, beware....) You may just want to  plant a vertical
with
a good reputation (as in one that works) one on the ground  where they really
are designed to go to work the best.  But since I don't  live at your QTH,
I'll shut up now-  GL

73  Paul   N0AH