[TowerTalk] Connectors for LMR-600

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors for LMR-600
From: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:03:00 -0600

I will be putting up some antennas at a new location in about six weeks. I
have acquired some Times Microwave (TM) LMR-400 and LMR-600 at a good price
for the runs to and up the tower (about 200 feet total) and intend to use
something like LMR-400UF around the rotator, as has been suggested
previously on this reflector.

I intend to use N-connectors in most places, but will need UHF connectors
at some of the endpoints.

My only experience with coax connectors has been with UHF-type on RG-8 and
9913 type coax.

I have studied the TT archives, www.eham.net discussions, and various
vendors' web sites about connectors for the LMR cables, but some questions
remain.

For the LMR-600, the preferred connector seems to be the EZ-600-NMH, which
requires the infamous $400 (approx) TM crimping tool. I have not been able
to find one locally to borrow. Needing only to install a few connectors for
the LMR-600, I cannot justify the cost.

The instructions for the TC600-UMC "clamp" type connector
(http://www.timesmicrowave.com/connectors/drawings.shtml) seem daunting and
mention the need for a "high-power soldering unit in the engineering lab."
What, exactly, does that imply?

TM, offers, however, two other "EZ" connectors that do not require crimping
or soldering (EZ-600-NMC and EZ-600-NMC-2). . They have interesting install
videos (http://www.timesmicrowave.com/connectors/videos.shtml) for
EZ-600-NMH and EZ-600-NMC-2 (but not for the EZ-600-NMC, but the written
instructions seem to similar to traditional N-connectors) and EZ-600-NMC-2
seems to be really EZ (i.e., easy to install).  There are also videos for
EZ-1200-NMH and EZ-1700-NMH but the structure and installation of these
connectors seems more similar to EZ-600-NMC-2 (I guess that these monster
connectors are too big to crimp!).

Other than need for special tools and time of installation, what are the
tradeoffs among the EZ-600-NMH, TC600-UMC, EZ-600-NM, and EZ-600-NMC-2? Is
there a downside to the EZ-600-NMC-2, which seems almost as EZ as the
EZ-600-NMH, but without the need for the expensive tool?

Also, because I am used to carefully soldering coax connectors, I wonder
about the integrity of the no-solder connectors. Is there anything to be
concerned about?

Finally, I imagine that there are similar issues for the TM LMR-400. I have
not studied these as carefully. I have heard conflicting views on whether
one should use standard UHF and N connectors with the LMR-400, but am
thinking of using standard, lower-cost, connectors here. What is the
current thinking on this?

Thanks,

Bill
K0KT