Re: [TowerTalk] 160 and 80 meter receiving antenna

To: "Van Fair" <giw@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 and 80 meter receiving antenna
From: "EUGENE SMAR" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 06:35:13 -0500

     I had a EWE pointed at Europe for about a season back in 1998-99.  I
was amazed at how well it worked, considering I had been on Topband only
since the year before and had had no experience with the band or RX antennas
for it.  It improved my station's RX abilities considerably so that I was
able actually to work stations I couldn't even HEAR on the TX antenna
(Inverted L at the time.)

     However, I would now condsider using the K9AY loop array.  (I had to
remove the EWEs to make room for my tower.)  It occupies considerably less
space and is ground-independent and doubly-bi-directional (I ought to
trademark that description!), although I believe we are encouraged to
install a radial field beneath the feed to improve performance.

BOTTOM LINE: Either of these designs, when they work, work well to make a
difference in station performance.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F