[TowerTalk] More calculations

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] More calculations
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:12:44 -0400
Subject: [TowerTalk] Calculations
To: towertalk@contesting.com

>And once a fellow gets a set of 90 MPH calculations for
> $250  or so, why, o'
>why should any future sales of the same calculations cost
>the  next fellow the
> same $250?  The non-recurring cost should be minimal;  right?

Umm, not really. First there's the issue of "Errors and Ommissions" insurance
which PE's carry to protect their license (sorta like malpractice insurance for
doctors and we all know what's been happening in that arena). It's a cost that
needs to be added in for everything the PE does.

And a drawing set is not necessarily a drawing set. One jurisdiction uses UBC,
another uses IBC; one jurisdiction uses 75 MPH and Exposure B, another uses 85
MPH and Exposure C. Each change of parameter requires new calculations.

And, yes - $250 for a PE wet-stamped drawing set is cheap BECAUSE he has done
them before. The US Tower PE charges $1000 just to do the structural analysis
of a tower before he gets into the calcs and drawings. In the case of the US
Towers, he has done them before and passes the savings along to you!

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Cell: 206-890-4188