[Towertalk] Power ground rod driver summary, and a question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Power ground rod driver summary, and a question
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:51:40 -0500
I've been asked to summarize the replies I've received, which seems
like a particularly good thing to do when most replies have been
off-list.

I received suggestions to rent an air compressor and "a small jack
hammer with a ground rod driver attachment," and I received a great
photo <KC2TN@comcast.net> of this method in use.  My wife liked this
one much better than the one from <http://www.groundhawgs.com/>.  :-)

I also received suggestions to rent "a contractor grade electric jack
hammer with a ground rod adapter."

Either kind seems cost-effective and is said to drive a rod in very
quickly, except perhaps when hard rock is encountered, and the rod
gets "wadded up."

Pete N4ZR cautioned that "if your rock is hard...you may need
something that comes on a flatbed trailer."

I fear that my rock _is_ hard, and the flatbed part was what I was
hoping to avoid, so let me close with another question:

Has anyone used a small, man-portable, gasoline-engine-powered rock
drill?  I once saw a photograph of one that was back-packable and
could drill a one-inch hole into solid granite.

73 de Chuck, W1HIS