[Towertalk] silicone for glue filled heat shrink tubing?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] silicone for glue filled heat shrink tubing?
From: wq5c@texas.net (Michael Pfeuffer)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:17:15 -0500
Hi all,

I've got a set of bulkhead SO-239 connections that are very hard to
weatherproof using the usual tape & vapor wrap method.  The space is too
limited to make a neat/waterproof job of the spiral wrap.

Since it's on the ground, heat shrink tubing is an option.  I ran across
several varieties that are lined with glue to keep out moisture.  According
to several posts in the  archive, these work well until you need to remove it.

I was thinking that I could spray the area to be covered with silicone (
lubricant, not the adhesive ) before shrinking the stuff.  I'm thinking the
silicone should be able to stand up to the heat, and stable enough to not
leak over time.

Has anyone tried this?  Any thoughts?

--Mike, WQ5C