[Towertalk] OWA Yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] OWA Yagis
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 01:10:57 -0600
The gain loss is NOT due to the classic feed (actually a
clever idea).  The gain loss in SPLIT  DIPOLE  FED antennas
comes from *detuning* the parasitic elements enough to raise
the feed impedance to 50 ohms.

Tuning the parasitic elements for maximum gain usually results
in much lower DE impedances (say 10 to 30 ohms) which then
requires a matching system such as a Beta Match, Gamma Match,
Omega Match, TEE Match, etc to transform the DE impedance
up to 50 ohms.

Tom  N4KG

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 Mark <aa6dx@pacbell.net> writes:
> Lots of folks have a problem with the Classic beams having a longer
> driven
> element VS the reflector .. due to the feed via coax inserted into
> the
> driven element.  I do not see a REAL loss of gain via this method ..
> in the
> "real world" ... Loved my 5 el mono 20M, 46` boom .. which, I had to
> leave
> in Alaska .. became a true sourdough.   Soured on Alaska, no dough
> to get
> out!
> 73 ---- Mark  6dx

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!