[TowerTalk] Static Charge field/strike detector reply de K0FF

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Static Charge field/strike detector reply de K0FF
From: ei8ic@eircom.net (Tim Makins, EI8IC)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:02:28 -0000
I remember when it was very easy to get a phototransistor - you just filed
the aluminium top off one of those 'top hat' transistors. I forget the
number, but guess if you dragged that old 1960s transistor radio board from
out of the junk box you should be in luck... Neons can be found in an old
cooker switch...

Tim Makins, EI8IC

There
> is a version of the Vactrol that uses a neon tube, and it shines on a
> phototransistor, all sealed in a plastic tube. I have a few, or can get
them
> from Gateway Electronics in St. Louis .
>
> The photo resistor could drive a counter etc.
>
> Happy Homebrewing, Geo>KØFF
> http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF

Perhaps