[TowerTalk] sheared bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] sheared bolts
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:57:49 EST
In a message dated 99-01-26 17:38:52 EST, gbay@odi.com writes:

<<
     1.  Is the Ham-IV, indeed, strong enough to handle this antenna?

     Most assuredly.

     2.  Shouldn't these bolts have been strong enough to hold up?  For
 whatever it's worth, they have held OK for 9 years while I had my KT-34A up.
 The only thing I can think of is that maybe they loosened up and then
 sheared.

       I would surmise the same thing. When was the last time you did an
annual inspection? That would include nut and bolt tightness, cable
inspection, etc.

     3.  Any idea as to how to back out the sheared-off bolts?  They are not
 sticking out of the holes.  >>

       Take the rotator out and take it to a machine show or mechanic. They'll
use an easyout or other device to get the busted bolts out.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC