[TowerTalk] MORE PROP PITCH STUFF

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MORE PROP PITCH STUFF
From: k3nd@yahoo.com (GALE STEWARD)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 05:25:39 -0800 (PST)
i  had a problem some time ago with the attachment method I originally
used to connect the prop pitch bevel gear to the antenna mast.  Used
the old-time pipe-within-a-pipe method pinned with bolts.  Of course
the bolt holes elongated over time and the array would drift to and
fro.  I came up with a solution by using the output shaft and mast
clamps from a defunct HYGAIN Rotobrake 400.  I welded a 1/4 thich
steel plate welded to the bevel gear.  A hole was bored in the steel
plate so the Rotobrake output shaft (1 in. dia.) could fit thru and
was welded on both sides.  This arrangement has held up fine for many
years.  I have a drawing available if anyone is interested (send me an
SASE).  This assembly was built for me by expert welder and
tower/antenna constructor Woody, K2UU.
BTW, I use some large brass selsyns (115 VAC, 60 HZ) and I use a
bicycle chain with identical sprockets on the above drive assembly and
on the selsyn unit.  I have weather covers on everything but
occasionally need to change a bearing in the selsyn.  Since I have
several spares so it's not a problem.

73, Stew  K3ND