[TowerTalk] Aluminum Tubing Separation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Tubing Separation
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:01:19 -0500
On 12/4/98 20:20, Terry Sharar at terrys@romulus.ncsc.mil wrote:

>       I've had two six foot concentric aluminum tubes, about 1.5" in
>diameter, in my garage for several years. I would now like to separate
>them for use as VHF antenna masts. These tubes are quite firmly stuck one
>inside the other. I would appreciate hearing some good ideas for
>separating them without damage.

I had a similar problem separating a A3S boom splice from one of the
booms. The only solution that helped was HEAT.

Get a small torch and heat up the tubes thoroughly. If the tubes are
nested flush with one another, you'll probably have to drift the inner
one out. If you can get them separated a foot or so, you can try twisting
them.

Also, a penetrating silicone oil might help. WD-40 will work in this
service. (It isn't a lubricant, since it doesn't last long enough, but
you're not trying to lubricate surfaces, just trying to get them apart)

Alternating heat, twisting and WD-40 got my boom splice apart.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901