[TowerTalk] Ameritron Remote Controlled Switches

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ameritron Remote Controlled Switches
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 08:26:47 -0700

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 18:39:38 -0800
>From: "Steve Gehring, KL7DC" <gehring@alaska.net>
>
>>The N connector models handle less power than standard UHF
>>connector models, and the standard cheap SO-239's on the RCS-8V
>>should still be good for 5 kW if the load SWR is fairly
>>good. It also has extremely good port to port isolation up to
>>150 MHz.
>>
>>The RCS-4 is a 1500 watt amplifier type switch..no more no
>>less.
>>
>>73 Tom
>
>Hi Tom,
>
>Why would UHF connectors handle high power better than N style
>connectors in your RCS-8 series coax switch?

Because the size of the center pin in the N connector is not
adequate for the currents involved with high power.  The center
pin contact area is even smaller yet.  Any contamination at all
and they aren't really even very good for moderate power.

>Comparing the data I have from Amphenol on their UHF and N
>connectors, this might seem otherwise for their "standard"
>models.  The voltage rating for the N is far greater, and I'd
>like to think both connectors can intermittently handle 10 amps
>or less of RF at the 5 KW level or below.
>
>"UHF" Connectors: rated for 500 V Pk and DC to 300 MHz with
>their phenolic model vs.  "N" Connectors: rated for 1,500 V Pk
>and DC to 11 GHz for their TFE model

This is apples and oranges.  Phenolic vs TFE.  The comparison
should be to PL259s with TFE dielectric.

>Has your experience at these power levels shown otherwise?

Yes.  Center pins heat up and melt the connector innards.

73, Eric  N7CL