[TowerTalk] Porcupines

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Porcupines
From: Kc4zum@aol.com (Kc4zum@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 14:56:24 -0500 (EST)
I work for a Bible college where we maintain a low power FM transmitter in
the panhandle of Florida.  The tower is 200' and on top of a small hill that
is clear pasture all around.  We were plagued with lightening taking out our
equipment every summer, usually in July and August, peak seasons when the
storms develop down in the gulf and come inland.  We installed 6 commercial
grade "porcupines" three at the top and three about one-third of the way from
the top... since we installed them, we have been hit free for the past 3
summers....I say that work!

The commercial jobs are about 2½ feet in diameter have about 100+ wires
coming from one end of a stainless rod.  VERY heavy duty  the ends are not
pointed but are still sharp.

So there is my experience.

73, Harvey
KM4JA