Topband

Re: Topband: Remotes

To: Charles Morrison <charles.morrison.n1rr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Remotes
From: kolson@rcn.com
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 06:32:22 -0500 (EST)
Charlie, that was just about what I was thinking. Basically, 'twas always thus.
I remember operating from a M/M contest station in the early '70s and one of
the old timers, spying our non-memory keyers, commented that we aren't really
sending CW ourselves, it was the little box filled with Dinosaur era IC chips
doing the sending. What would he have thought of N1MM, autofill and Super Check
Partial?

I have modest DXCC totals compared to many here, but my only interest is how I
assess what I have accomplished. It took me roughly 50 years to finally make
Mixed DXCC Honor Roll from my modest stations, and I am frankly not that
impressed :). But I am also not impressed by the dude who bought 10 acres, put
up stacked monobanders, established a "shack" more elaborate in it's own way
than the WCBS TV transmitter facility I worked at in the Empire State Building
when I first came to NYC and proceeded to make Honor Roll in a few years. I did
admire his drive to do all this (and the monetary outlay I could only dream
of), but still...

Maybe someone should establish a new Countries (oops, entities) award whose
rules would make even the most hidebound traditionalist proud. I still suspect
DXCC would keep chugging along, the idea that it has been debased and devalued
is mostly in folks heads. BTW, what former DXCC department head at HQ (who
worked most of his countries elsewhere than CT) would drive out to one of the
big local stations to work a new country (ENTITY...) when one came on the air?
I'll never tell, hi hi.

73, Kevin K3OX