Topband

Re: Topband: GM from Timor Leste

To: "m.r.c." <mrc02@kinderteacher.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: GM from Timor Leste
From: gudguyham--- via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 12:52:16 +0000 (UTC)
Robin, I’ve been a ham for 57 years this year.  When I started out 160 had
power limitations but that went away and 160 really became popular.  A few
times in my early career I dropped in to listen to 160 and concluded there was
nobody on that band.  In a conversation many years into my ham career I told
another ham that nobody was on 160.  He told me I was crazy and directed me to
a YouTube video of he himself switching from a 160m dipole and tuning the band
.  Clearly  very few if any signals heard.  He switched over to a beverage and
suddenly like magic the band had quite a few signals.  It was then that I
realized that if you want to really be successful on 160 you need a real quiet
antenna like a beverage.  When I saw the difference I got excited and since I’m
only one away from #1 honor roll I hadn’t had any challenges in some time.  I
looked at 160 as a way to open up new excitement for me in ham radio!  I built
myself around a 600 foot beverage and became active on 160 in 2015.  I totally
agree with your friend, “ no beverage, no contacts”.  I found my beverage to be
helpful up to 20 meters!

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS