Topband

Re: Topband: 4W8X

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 4W8X
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@k0xp.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 14:50:09 -0800
When AA6AA worked 4W8X on 11/11 at 1420Z, 4W8X peaked here a few mins before sunrise. AA6AA caught him exactly when the sun peeped over my horizon, flooding the desert floor, and 4W8X hit 579. A minute after the sun peeped over, 4W8X took a 3 or 4 S-unit dip and was back into and out of the noise. Two QSOs AFTER AA6AA, he was nearly inaudible and 15 minutes after my sunrise, he was into the noise and effectively a no-go. I was hearing the JAs working him beginning nearly an hour before my SR but stopped hearing them around 15 mins before my SR.

The last two mornings, I never heard any JAs, and 4W8X never was audible for me although lots of westerners were calling right on key, including VE6WZ, W7RH, K7ZV, etc.. K8PT (supposedly near Philly), of all people, was still calling up to a few mins before my sunrise today.

This has mirrored my experience with HS5ABD back in the '70s on 80 during the CQWW CW: Fred peaked way loud right at sunrise then a few minutes later, was effectively into the noise and it was clear that there was no chance remaining. From here in DM24ad, the W7s on the Wash/Ore coast, and VE7s, all get as much as an hour more than I do to work schtuff. Once the sun is up, it's all over but the clapping after the show.

Steve, K0XP

DM24ad