Topband

Topband: KH8/AA7JV on Low Bands from Manu-a -- Update

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: KH8/AA7JV on Low Bands from Manu-a -- Update
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 15:12:18 -0400
Had an interesting night.
We used this generator on many operations and we've never heard its noise. Because the mountains block noise form an arc of almost 210 degrees, the TX antenna is very quiet on RX! Quiet enough to make the generator noise heard. Will try to eliminate the generator noise today, hopefully for an even better RX setup.

Started calling on 160 at 0530 Z. No EU heard at all. A steady but slow stream of NA stations with very clear and strong signals started around 0600 Z. K0RF had an amazingly clear and strong signal. Starting at 0720 JA-s started to come in with even stronger and clearer signals. It was like 20 on a good day. Atmospheric noise started to rise as the terminator reached SE Asia but signals remained well above the noise. Tried 80 for a few minutes but the generator noise was annoying and I went back to 160. NA sunrise brought in a few NA callers but JA-s dominated with much stronger signals until about 1040 Z. Came back at 1445. Lots of strong JA-s. East EU started at 1455 with good signals. Made over 30 E EU contacts until about 1600, but never heard anything further west than the Ukraine.  Will repeat the same routine tonight/tomorrow morning and hopefully get some W EU (or at least C EU).
TKS for all the calls,
73,
George,
AA7JV