Topband

Re: Topband: Pre-Stew/LBJ in VK6

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Pre-Stew/LBJ in VK6
From: Chris G3SVL <chris@g3svl.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:45:36 +0100
On 25/10/2023 09:35, Jim Brown wrote:
I learned a lot from George Wallner, AA7JV, a brilliant engineer and veteran of a dozen or so expeditions to rare entities, and for which he mounted a very effective Topband presence. At Visalia in 2019 (and a few weeks later at Dayton), he observed that the vast majority of their Topband QSOs were made on one night of their 2-3 week expedition.

I was at that Topband dinner in Visalia too - and did a quick 'warm up' talk ahead of George on our experiences at VK9XG where we had the same 'one night opening'. My wife and I were on Steve, WB6RSE's table with George and had a very enjoyable evening.

That summer I was sitting outside a bar in Friedrichshafen telling some G's and PA's about what I had learnt from George and who should walk past but George himself. He joined us and we had some great technical discussions.

He is without doubt an asset to our hobby.

73 Chris, G3SVL