Topband

Re: Topband: Spur as it reappeared

To: W3LPL Frank Donovan <donovanf@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spur as it reappeared
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:47:40 -0600
   To George’s point: This site is definitely in the complex category. Both
stations change patterns between day and night, meaning they have a lot of
(expensive) phasor hardware and high-current switches. The times when pattern
and power level changes must occur are specified in the station license data on
the FCC website, and change monthly. A station has 3 minutes to complete the
changeover.

   Frank: It has become increasingly common for AM stations to share sites as
the value of urban real estate escalates. In fact the WWRU/WKDM site pattern
switching and diplexing arrangements were built by Kintronic and feature in
their brochure
<https://www.kintronic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/QF-723-019-Rev.-B.pdf> on
multiplexing AM/SW sites. There is at least one directional site that is
quad-plexed with four AM signals at non-trivial power levels, with all stations
changing patterns between day and night. These designs are not for the faint of
heart — but super-interesting.

   I am responsible for two diplexed non-directional AM sites around
Denver-Boulder: KGNU/KKCL in Englewood (adjacent to Denver) and KVCU/KCFC in
Boulder.

— Eric K3NA