Topband

Topband: Stew/Low Band Jack observations from down under

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Stew/Low Band Jack observations from down under
From: Phil Hartwell via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 01:41:34 +0800
Hi Topbanders, I hope you enjoyed the Stew/LBJ contest as much as I did, despite less than stellar conditions and thanks to Tree and the Boring guys for organising the splendid event.

Some observations on propagation during the Stew/LBJ from down under....

At the start of the contest I worked LY7M and LY2XW, both very weak with bad auroral flutter and QRN, making copy very difficult, nothing else doing, so a bit discouraged I took a 2 hours sleep break. On resumption at 0300 local, the auroral effects had dissipated and signals had improved, so I managed to log a few EU's, which were limited to eastern and northern countries, none further west or south than DL, except for MM0ZBH, 10 minutes after my SR, which was at 2127z. During the afternoon thunderstorms developed southeast of Perth, the first for several months, which didn't bode well for the evening session. After SS the local QRN combined with the continuing storms that continue to flood eastern VK, to make copy difficult, but I managed to work 8 east coast W's from MA down to FL plus MI, all were around S3/4. As the SR progressed across the states I heard almost nothing until W5 appeared around their SR, with half a dozen good signals around S5/6, but try as I may, none answered my calls. Then nothing until I heard AA6AA, who was peaking S7 at his SR and made it into my log. The only other west coast station I heard was a very steady S6, but could not hear my dozens of calls. I heard no VE's, only 2 JA's and worked one. There seemed to be very little activity from eastern VK, probably due to the severe QRN or being submerged in flood water. The only other VK's I know were active were Ron, VK3IO and Steve, VK6VZ. No ZL's heard either. Now can anyone answer me this? Why was it possible for me to work east coast W's who were all weaker than the W5's who couldn't hear me? Was it due to local QRN/QRM? Stronger stateside callers drowning me out? Or could it be that the east coast stations I worked may have had directional RX antennas looking west as their SR approached, looking to maximise their stateside contacts, but also favouring my general direction and were the W5's looking to the north and east for the same purpose, but in the process looking away from me? Was the strong west coast station, who did not hear my many calls, looking east? I'm not complaining, there would be little profit in listening for VK/ZL given the very few stations on air, despite the opportunity to gain many points per QSO. I'm just trying to understand why I had almost no luck trying to work the stronger stations west of the Mississippi. Any explanations welcome.

Anyway, I hope to participate in the Big Stew, southern summertime QRN and propagation permitting!

73, Phil VK6GX.

--
www.avg.com