Topband

Re: Topband: Topband - Stew Perry event just 48 hours away

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband - Stew Perry event just 48 hours away
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 10:34:12 -0700
On 10/21/2022 10:18 AM, Mark Connelly via Topband wrote:
DXpedition set-ups are typically at low noise coastal or high-altitude sites not near urban RF
congestion. "Real" antennas, i.e. with decent gain and directivity, are typically used.
For these reasons the short duration DXpedition receivers usually blow the doors off what
"permanent" sites offer.

YES! I often find that I can work the better expeditions QRP after the initial rush has died down, even on Topband.

Where this breaks down is when expeditions QSY from lower bands at the first sign of daylight, failing to understand that gray line propagation is usually strongest on the daylight side of the terminator! On Topband, it's often great for 30-45 minutes, on 80 it's an hour, on 40 it's two hours.

73, Jim K9YC