Re: [TenTec] Need help understanding why two detectors in Ten-Tec 1210 t

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need help understanding why two detectors in Ten-Tec 1210 transverter (and manual PDF link)
From: wb0gaz via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 16:46:55 +0000 (UTC)
 Think I finally figured this out - D6 is exposed to a high RF voltage during
transmit, as the IF attenuator is really just R25 (the 50 ohm load clamped to
the housing) and the action of the ALC circuit (1SV80 PIN diode controlled by
op amp.) D4 and D5 produce a negative voltage as a function of the IF radio's
transmit power, which reverse biases D6/D7/D25 to avoid any of them coupling IF
transmit power into Q13 (receive post-mixer amplifier.) Useful as originally
designed, and why they had a separate negative-output detector when D1/D2 do
the same thing is unknown, but I think the reverse bias would not be necessary
with low-level transmit IF (at least up to a few dBm, which is probably more
than the mixer wants anyway.)