[TenTec] Paragon Reference Oscillator

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon Reference Oscillator
From: "Peter Ferrand" <petef@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 02:54:38 -0500
I have a new-to-me Paragon 585.

The rig is slightly off frequency from its readout and the best I can do is
adjust the reference oscillator with C1 to 300 Hz lower in frequency than the
84 MHz it's supposed to be. Ten-Tec specifies this frequency must be plus or
minus 5 Hz at 84 MHz, which is the output of the frequency doubler.

I tried removing or reducing C2 but the oscillator stops oscillating. Rather
than track down a new 42 MHz crystal, I wonder if anyone with more design
skills than I have can suggest a slight redesign of the circuit to pull the
existing crystal higher.

Thanks.
Pete
WB2QLL