Re: [TenTec] Scout transmit problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scout transmit problem
From: Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 10:20:06 -0500
Bob et al;

The most common issue with radios which have been stored, sitting on a shelf, etc.  is oxidation of internal connectors.  I suggest cleaning every one of them.

I use a Q-Tip with contact cleaner applied.  {you'll likely need several Q-Tips} Unplug a cable, scrub the male pins, and then plug it back in and out a couple of times to wipe the female contacts.   Do this one cable at a time and be sure when plugging back in the connector is correctly aligned and properly seated. DO NOT spray anything into the radio.

This solves many of the issues with radios regardless of how "beautiful" they are on the outside.  A radio which is not used regularly is a radio more likely not to operate correctly when it is used.

73

Bob, K4TAX