Re: [TenTec] CB

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CB
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 01:23:09 -0700
On 11/2/2019 8:08 PM, John Fleming wrote:
  we had the 11 meter band and when the sun spot cycle peaked in 1958,
conversation with England was normal.

I was around for that cycle, and nothing about it was normal. :) From my QTH in WV on the OH/KY border, 6M began with ZS, later W6, then KH6, then JA. For a while, it was every day. And this was low power AM (2E26 or 6146 -- 25-50W)!

My only 11M activity was with one of a pair of AM talkies home-brewed by some seniors in my U of Cincy EE when I was a freshman, 1959-60. They were in Bud boxes, I'd guess about 3" x 3" x '15". I was probably the only one licensed, and had my Extra by then. :)

They also built a carrier-current AM TX on the low end of the AM band that I occasionally loaded into a #18-#22 long wire strung between dorm buildings that was also a ham antenna. I have a QSL from K4BVD (now W6OAT, still a good friend, from those days. I'm still working K4BAI, who grew up with Rusty, and N6AA, since those days. And I was working K2VCO regularly until he moved of Israel several years ago.

73, Jim K9YC