Re: [TenTec] FW: orion vs. orion II

To: w2iy@verizon.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FW: orion vs. orion II
From: MadScientist1948 <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 22:05:37 -0500
The Orion is a really great choice (either version).

The color screen on the O2, while sort of coarse compared with the display on
its contemporary, the Icom 756 Pro 2 or 3, is sure a lot more pleasant to use
than the older monochrome displays on the O1. Also, it seems that the color
displays are more reliable than the monochrome ones.

I have had maybe 10 Orion and 5 Orion 2 radios here over the years. I have also
repaired many of them.

Unless I missed something, I had thought that the O2 used 4 pole roofing
filters while the O1 used the older 8 pole Omni 6 type filters.

Generally, more poles provide better skirt slopes…

Thus I would appreciate it if someone might elucidate on the reason for the
perception that the O2 has better filtering…

My recollection is that Ten Tec, in their advertising for the O2 and its
accessories, stated that they had discovered a way to produce the filters at
lower cost (which was reflected in lower prices for the accessory filters
relative to the older filters).

It seems to me that this “discovery” consisted mainly of using half as many
crystals in the filters.

The Ten Tec’s credit, the newer filters do have shielded metal housings whereas
the older filters were “open air” designs, leaving some room for unplanned
leakage around the filters.

Gary