Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 14:21:34 -0700
On Sun,9/11/2016 2:04 PM, Gary J FollettDukes HiFi wrote:
I understand and appreciate this discussion of NOISE dynamic range. This does
not explain how one can get SIGNAL dynamic range higher than ~96 dB with 16
bits. These are different quantities.

If the A to D has say, 1 mV per bit response, then the largest input signal this 16
bit A to D can measure should be ~65,000 mV. That’s about 96 dB.

Hi Gary,

I worked in pro audio, and thought the same thing you have stated here. But there's far more to it than that -- it's not a simple A/D, it's a far more complex (and very different) circuit. My neighbor NR0V, who developed the "Pure Signal" distortion cancelling system, went through it with me. I'm not a digital guy, so I don't remember details. But the bottom line is that these systems get another 20-30 dB more dynamic range than for a simple A/D. I'm sure that if we had time, you or I could learn a lot about it by poking around the internet. :) Someday I probably will, but my plate is currently full working on an update for several chapters of the ARRL Handbook. And when I finish with that, I'm sure the XYL will have something for me to do. :)

73, Jim K9YC