Re: [TenTec] which power supply setup?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which power supply setup?
From: Lee <lee@wa3fiy.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 09:41:55 +0000
denton sprague wrote:

"wonder if there is a conversion factor going from farads to amp-hours?
one of my pet on line research is on those super capacitors and at which point they can have the storage capacity of a sealed lead acid battery."

 and Spencer replied:

"here is a link to a 2000F capacitor

http://www.koldban.com/Kapower_Specifications_s/29.htm";

My reply:

Super caps have a long way to go to reach the storage capacity of a SLA battery. The KApower super cap (and other super caps) have very high pulse power ratings but very low storage capacity.

Using the relationship IT = EC we can do a quick analysis to see what I mean. I - current in amps, T - time in seconds, E - voltage change in volts and C - capacitance in farads.

To keep things simple I like to use what I call a " first approximation". We'll use an Argonaut VI to keep the discussion Ten-Tec :-) Receive current 0.5 amps and allowable voltage change 14 volts to 10 volts or 4 volts change.

So....the question is how long will a 2000F capacitor run an Argonaut on receive?

Using T = EC/I, T = (4 * 2000)/0.5 which results in 16000 seconds run time. In hours that is 4.4 hours from a 62 pound "battery" in a 1329 cubic inch package at who knows how much cost! Transmit at 10 watts cw will require approximately 5 times as much current so we reduce the run time to 4.4 / 5 or 0.9 hours key down! For comparison, a LiFePO4 6 Ah 12 volt battery weighing 1.4 pounds in a 26 cubic inch package and costing $80 would run the Argonaut on receive for 12 hours and 2.4 hours key down CW transmit. A SLA would reduce that cost considerably but would be larger and heavier. I've not considered the 30mA self discharge rate for the KApower capacitor. Let's do that. T = (4 * 2000)/0.030 = 267,000 seconds or 74 hours!

Super caps have come a long way but still have a long way to go to come anywhere near the performance of a rechargeable battery for powering our rigs. Doubt it will happen in my lifetime (I'm 73) if ever. But there is a place for super caps in short term/high current applications.

73 all,

-Lee-
WA3FIY

wonder if there is a conversion factor going from farads to amp-hours?
one of my pet on line research is on those super capacitors and at which point they can have the storage capacity of a sealed lead acid battery.

here is a link to a 2000F capacitor
http://www.koldban.com/Kapower_Specifications_s/29.htm

That is a lot of electrons