[TenTec] Eagle Driver correction

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Eagle Driver correction
From: John Henry <jshenry1963@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:53:08 -0600
Sorry, I just re-read what I typed in and I mis-spoke.

NOT:

If you have V1.x installed, you need to install the V1 firmware
to perform the update. If you have V2.x installed, then you need to install
the V2 firmware.

BUT
This is confusing, but if you pay attention to what you have already used,
installed, etc., then it just takes a bit of conscientious setup to get
working.

If you have the V1.x radio firmware installed, then you almost definitely
have the V1.x bootloader. If this is the case, then you need to ensure that
you have the V1.x DRIVER installed BEFORE you try to connect the Eagle to
do the firmware update. If you already installed the V1.x Driver, then you
don't need to do anything yet. Just download the new firmware update
installer, connect the Eagle, boot it up in bootloader/flash update mode,
run the update program on the PC, select V2.3 and program it into the unit.
Now, once it reboots, in order for you to use a CAT program now to talk to
the V2.3 radio firmware, you will need to install the V2.x compatible
drivers. This is easy, download the driver zip file from the internet, and
extract it to a folder, and when asked what to use, point to that folder.
(DO NOT put this on the Windows Desktop, Windows doesn't install .cat/.inf
driver files from the desktop. Put them in a "Documents"/"TENTEC" folder or
something, NOT on the desktop.)

If you have the V2.x radio firmware installed, and the radio shipped to you
from the factory sold with V2.x firmware installed, then you probably have
the V2.x bootloader. If this is the case, then the only driver you need to
install is the V2.x driver. If you haven't installed it already, then go to
the website, download it to somewhere other than the desktop, and then
point to it when Windows asks what driver you want to use.....

Now, if you have V2.x radio firmware that was updated by the factory, then
you could have V1.x bootloader, you could have V2.x bootloader.
For this instance, I find it best to go ahead and first run the install
process to install the V1.x driver. This is an exe file, and if you are a
32 bit Windows, pick the Eagle 32 bit installer. Download it and run it.
If you are Windows 8.1 64 bit, or WIndows 10 64 bit, then you will need to
do this with the driver signage disabled. This is not fun. Follow the steps
on the website to install unsigned drivers by turning off driver signage
enforcement. Print out the instructions, THEN start it, be CAREFUL to
follow the instructions, some OEM delivered versions of Windows have
slightly different screen texts/names, just follow the path that is closest
to the instructions.
If you are uncomfortable doing this, then I do suggest you find someone who
has already done it and knows how, or you contact TEN-TEC service (when
they are open).
Once that driver is installed, then proceed to do the firmware update to
V2.3.
download the V2.x driver installer zip file and extract it to a folder NOT
to the desktop.

This is not a nice process, sorry.

The website I am referring to above is still rkrdesignsllc website.
So, to get the files, the instructions, etc., read them all over now so you
are ready and know what to do....

www dot rkrdesignsllc dot com
transceiver-100-watts-if-dsp-with-tuner/
click on trasceivers
(takes you to:
http://www.rkrdesignsllc.com/products/transceivers-receivers/ )
click on the Eagle
(takes you to:
http://www.rkrdesignsllc.com/products/transceivers-receivers/ten-tec-model-599at-eagle-transceiver-100-watts-if-dsp-with-tuner/
)
scroll
down
FIRST read .....
http://www.rkrdesignsllc.com/static/media/documents/tt_599_USB_UART_install_readme.pdf
The tt_599_USB_UART_install_readme.pdf file

73, KI4JPL
John Henry