Re: [TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:27:58 -0700
On Sat,9/19/2015 11:54 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
If you want to run high power (more than 800w), you will need to glue two cores
together.
You won't find the coax I used, so use RG-142.

Rick,

I hate to be a wet blanket, but off-center fed antennas produce VERY high common mode voltage/current, enough to fry a very good ferrite choke with as little as 100W. Running a power amp is really asking for trouble.

I now recommend using TWO 5,000 ohm ferrite chokes on well balanced dipoles running more than 1,000W.

The "coil of coax" chokes are simple inductors. If the length of the feedline makes the feedline capacitive, the choke will cancel part or all of the reactance of the feedline and the common mode current will INCREASE. Obviously, the extent to which this occurs will be different on every frequency. For this reason, a coil of coax makes a lousy common mode choke.

73, Jim K9YC