Re: [TenTec] OMNI-VI question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI-VI question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:29:13 -0500
The accuracy is only as good, but not better than the instrument one uses.

The Omni VI Plus on the bench was checked on all bands, CW mode. The following is the discrepancy between the frequency display and the measured TX frequency. The radio display frequency resolution is 10 Hz. with VFO steps of 10 Hz.

{Numbers are rounded to the nearest Hz.}
160M    +22 Hz
80M      +22 Hz
40M     +24 Hz
30M     +25 Hz
20M     -21 Hz
17M     +28 Hz
15M    -19 Hz
12M    -17 Hz
10M    -16 Hz

I could have tweaked on it more and moved 17M to a value of about +25 Hz but in doing so 20M would have ended up at about -25 Hz. So the basic accuracy is about +/- 25 Hz. or better. I'd say not bad for a 30 year old radio.

The same test was performed on my Tentec Eagle. The result was +/- 3 Hz for all bands. The radio spec is +/- 5 Hz with a 1 Hz radio display frequency resolution with VFO steps of 1 Hz.

It seems that technology has greatly improved things.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Bertini" <radioconnection@gmail.com>