Re: [TenTec] SOFTWARE at WRTC

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOFTWARE at WRTC
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 08:26:24 -0700
On 7/26/2014 6:22 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
It is not usable at large contest
sites due to lack of band data.

That's a fatal flaw for anyone doing automatic switching for antennas or bandpass filters. No big deal for a small station that doesn't need that.

It's important to realize what markets a given radio is intended to satisfy, although by omitting band data, which has been standard on most rigs in its price range for decades, Ten Tec does seem to have missed its mark.

The Elecraft KX3 also lacks band data, but it's an ultra-compact $900 rig designed for backpacking.

It seems to me that there's always been something missing from most Ten Tec rigs. For example, several generations of Omnis lacked an antenna tuner, when most rigs in the price class had them built in either stock or as an option that almost everyone bought. I perceive this as a failure to understand their market when deciding what a rig should be. The last Ten Tec transceiver I owned was an OmniV with Carl's plus mod, and there were things about the user interface that were just plain awkward. The QUALITY has always been there, but features were missing. Talk about communications!

73, Jim K9YC