Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec custom enclosures comment...

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec custom enclosures comment...
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 09:32:11 -0500
Ron make some very good points.

From my experience it may be that "business unit A makes a profit" and that
"business unit B makes a profit". For given dollars invested, business unit B makes more profit per dollar invested than business unit A. Therefore, the business decision to eliminate the unit making less profit per dollar of investment and put those financial resources into the unit that makes more profit is usually a wise one.

Now these types of decisions hinge on many factors such as; space required for operation, cost of space, age of equipment, depreciated value of equipment, cost to maintain equipment, percentage of utilization and a host of other factors.

I worked for a company that built and owned their own manufacturing buildings. Every 10 years they built a new building, moved and demolished the old building and sold the previous real estate. At the time, that seems expensive and very wasteful to me. However once explained to me, the old building was fully depreciated via tax laws to zero value except for the real estate. During the 10 year period of occupancy there were few needed repairs or replacements required to the systems, HVAC, roof, plumbing electrical and such. During the 10 year span the old building was found to be less that suitable for the current manufacturing operation. So 10 years later, a new building much more suited to the new current operation and with all new facilities was the better deal. Thus little to likely there would be no facility expense in the form of HVAC systems needs, minimal to no roof repairs, no electrical system updates, no plumbing updates/repairs and much more energy efficient and such. And the depreciation cycle starts all over again.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>