Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 03:48:36 -0500

On 2/23/2014 2:45 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
Jon,

If I had buddies who got annoyed with me being 20 or 30 Hz off frequency,
I'd look for some new buddies.

                I don't think he said the other guys complained... just
                that HE was the offending party in the group.

                As a kid, I listened to SW broadcast stations and
                hams on a receiver, and dreamed of owning my own
                station someday.

                I learned early on you can drive yourself batty
                trying to peak the signal - so I subscribe to a more
                pragmatic school...  If I can hear and understand
                the other guy... I take my hand off the tuning knob,
                and concentrate on the conversation.     After all,
                the point of ham radio (to me) is communication.

                I rarely look at the frequency readout, as it is often
                squirrelly, depending on how old the other guy's rig
                is,  or for some other reason.    If I can work him, I
                figure it is close enough.  With a few million radios
                on the air, I guess there will be some deviation to
                reckon with !

Just MY take.

///'