Re: [TenTec] Herc II relays

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Herc II relays
From: k6jek <k6jek@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 14:08:55 -0700
Nice write up and pictures, Rick. I've saved it in case I need it.

This must be International Hercules II Relay Week. I just solved a problem
similar to yours caused by a different failed relay. When the amp was turned
on, nothing would get through in receive. With the amp off, all was fine. This
turned out to be a failed relay on the INPUT BOARD, K3, a reed relay.

I was able to get an exact replacement for this discontinued part. I bought an
extra since it won't be long until they are just plain gone: Coho Technology
8401-12-100. Onlinecompnents.com still has a few.

It was very easy to do. The input board is on top, easily accessed when the top
cover is removed.

Trevor, AB5EU, has the relay circuitry of the Herc II figured out. His
knowledge was helpful.

I must say I was surprised by the small relays and connectors Ten-Tec  used on
the INPUT BOARD. I guess they work fine or did for twenty years but they sure
stand contrast to the beefy construction elsewhere like the power supply which
takes two men and a boy just to lift.

Jon, K6JEK